Sunday, June 24, 2007

An APCK Diocese Afoot?

It's been a very long time since I've published anything here. I'd already planned to write a few things today if I could afford the time, but after reading an email last night I decided to write first and tend the day's chores later. What was in this email that so convicted me?

According to an article by David Virtue, Bishop Florenza of the APCK's Diocese of the Eastern States has declared his Diocese to be in "a state of genuine unity and full communion" with the ACA.

I'd like to know what "a state of genuine unity and full communion" means. How does "genuine unity" differ from organic unity? If it does not (and that would be my understanding of the plain English), "full communion" is implicit. If they are the same, has Bishop Florenza already effectively declared his Diocese's move to the ACA? Can a Diocese exist in two jurisdictions?

I realize these are questions for Bishop Florenza, but I cannot help but think aloud. The sordid history of continuing Anglicanism and its continued disunity are shameful. I hope and pray this latest event is different, but if this is indeed a "unilateral" action as some have suggested, I fear it will only worsen "the brokenness of our witness for Christ as traditional Anglicans" that Bishop Florenza reportedly criticizes.

As I mentioned in a comment on the Continuum, I'm all for decreasing the number of petty kingdoms that exist in continuing Anglicanism. But I don't see how this action will change that number unless it results in the APCK in its entirety moving toward organic unity with the ACA. And, if the APCK were willing to make such a move, would the ACA be the best destination? I think the ACC or the UECNA, both having a much clearer tie to St. Louis and Denver, would be better destinations for such a move.

June 29th was a big day already, but it'll be even more interesting to learn what happens in Oakland now.

6 comments:

Tregonsee said...

I agree with your views about the CCs who have been both faithful, but often wracked by splintering due to the "Purple Plague." If things run true to form, the good bishop will be promptly inhibited by the APCK, and will then take his flock to join ACA.

Of course, my prayers are that they will think this over, perhaps pass a mild rebuke of his taking unilateral action, and then sit down and study doing this officially. There has been a remarkable ingathering of the faith over the past few years, in organizations such as ACN, FACA, etc. The ACA has been part of this, but so far the APCK has stood apart. (Aloof?) Perhaps with the passing of the reins from ++Morse, there may be more inclination to join with others who truly agree on the fundamentals.

Alan

Continuing Home said...

Is there an actual action in +Florenza's letter? I see a statement that I support, and have so for quite some time, but nothing to indicate that he is taking his diocese out of the APCK.

Drew Miller said...

This excerpt of Bishop Florenza's letter is what I refer to as the action (the emphasis is mine):

As a first step, I, your diocesan bishop have pledged to increase our cooperation and fellowship with the Anglican Church in America, a respected body that has been in real and visible communion with this diocese and with the province. Therefore, I now declare openly a state of genuine unity and full communion with these our brothers and sisters who hold fast to the same eternal truths as do we.

I don't understand how this declaration advances the cause of traditional Anglican unity.

Drew Miller said...

Thanks for visiting my 'blog apbiddle.

I also pray for a resolution that shows more of our Spirit-given fruits than our human sinfulness.

Anonymous said...

Please take time to read the FACA agreement. There are some things in there that are very disturbing. The ACC and UECNA are both right. The APCK does not want to be that closely aligned to the AMiA and the REC.

Couldn't get the Google/Blogger to work this morning. So, I had to post "anonymous"...By the way, you have a great looking parish.
dsstraw@yahoo.com

Drew Miller said...

Thanks for visiting my 'blog David. I haven't read the FACA articles because I'm just not interested in another group (or super-group) that ultimately doesn't promote organic unity. Federations and such, I fear, are an attempt to legitamize this sinful sectarianism. The issues I have with some of FACA's member churches are secondary to this.

I'm glad to see a written commitment toward organic unity between the ACC and the UECNA. I really hope we see the same commitment from Archbishop Provence. I certainly plan to make my feelings known to him (though my voice counts for little). I've spent time in all three jurisdictions, and there is no reason (save sin) they are not one.