Sunday, October 21, 2007

Why I'll never teach/lead a Bible class/study again

This morning I taught/lead the third session of my Bible class/study on the Flesh and the Spirit in the writings of St. Paul. Only, it wasn't really the third session because I showed up way late for the first two. And, it isn't really a class 'cause teaching (in the traditional sense) just isn't my thing. Also, I didn't really lead the study, 'cause I'm not exactly a Pauline or New Testament scholar (in fact, I'm on the other end of that pole).

So it ended up being 45 minutes of me rambling and flitting around Scripture (to the extent my limited understanding allowed) and trying to coax people to join the discussion. Given all that, I thought it could have gone much worse, even if it wasn't that great. (Deedee mentioned that I spoke too fast and fell into my Southern manner of speech; I tend to do that when discussing a subject I'm passionate about).

Last night, around 2AM, as I was thinking about what I would actually talk about during the study, I decided that I'd never do this sort of thing again. In truth, I probably wouldn't have done it in the first place had Fr. Daniel not asked me to (I believe that when the Church calls, you answer, and so I agreed to lead the study). But, what's started is started, and so I'll run with this study until it finds it natural end (probably in November since I'm two weeks behind). But this will be my last Bible study/class.

That might sound odd coming from someone who until very recently aspired to be a deacon and who has committed himself to bringing others to faith in our Lord. Let me try to explain.

The problem is that I hate lectures. They aren't dynamic or interactive enough for me. I prefer an inquiry-driven or dialectical approach to learning. I don't want to just deposit knowledge into the learner. I want the learner to withdraw (or, even better, develop) the knowledge based on their exploration of and inquiry about the subject at hand. I don't really believe that we can teach one another; rather, I think at best we can facilitate a person teaching themself. I know this is somewhat controversial, and very few people I've explained this to agree with me.

This leads to another problem. That sort of facilitation requires a deep and thorough understanding of the subject at hand. And I just don't have that depth of knowledge of Holy Writ. I'm working hard to change that and I have a plan (as I'll explain in my next 'blog entry). But, today, right now, I'm just not qualified to edify, at least in a way I'm comfortable with.

So, what do I do?

As my knowledge of the Bible increases, and as I become more qualified to help others learn, I hope to host what I'd call "informal inquiries". The idea is to be available before and after the parish's services to answer whatever questions folks might have. Where Holy Scripture is concerned, one question, even if seemingly simple, can develop into a lifetime of study. If you truly explore just one question, I promise you'll never run out of subsequent questions.

But, you have to start with that first question. And that question needs to be something you care about, that you are passionate about, that you are prepared to invest time and energy in exploring and answering. I can't just give you a question like that; I don't think anyone can. But I'm going to work very hard so that I can help you explore and answer it.

1 comment:

Continuing Home said...

Drew, I am stunned. Reading your description of last Sunday's class, I sort of wonder if I was in some alternate universe because your description just doesn't match *my* experience at all! Granted *I* had little if anything to say, but there were reasons. And my notebook's entry for the class is anything but a blank page.

That you're conducting the class and you don't have all the answers, so you're trying to facilitate discussion, so what? Classes conducted by know-it-alls are likely either:
a) Passing on a solid body of knowledge (e.g. college calculus classes), or
b) Indoctrination.

I did not notice that you were speaking too fast, nor any "Southern manner of speech." Even if the class is a mutual discovery, and one where you've already scouted out a bit of the ground ahead, *I* think a bunch of us are benefiting from it.

I know I have learned a lot more than I ever knew on this subject (and I am beginning to get an idea that there is so much I don't know) already, and I look forward with keen interest to the subsequent classes.

Drew, don't cut yourself short. In my humble opinion you're doing a great job -- and please at least don't consider *never* doing such again! You have more to offer, I think, than you know.

And Kathy concurs.